Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dan the Piano Man

People, I have met the Dog Whisperer’s long lost American cousin. I have no real proof that they are indeed related, but since I’ve never seen anyone tame my ornery pup so quickly and easily, I figure it has to be something in the blood.

IMG_6904

Meet Dan. Otherwise known as Riley’s new BFF.

IMG_6914

Dan was my birthday present from those faith sharing girls I introduced you to yesterday. Ok, well DAN wasn’t my present, but his handy piano-fixing skills certainly were. Dan the Piano Man, as I have just now decided to call him, had virtually no experience with player pianos… but we quickly discovered we are like-minded in our approach to fixing things: if we take enough things apart we’ll figure it out eventually.

IMG_6926

Did I mention Riley fell in love with Dan the Piano man? Yes, he did, and he was more than willing to be Dan’s happy helper through the entire process. Just so you know, I wanted to put Riley on a leash, but Dan was getting a kick out of him. He even brought his wife back to meet the pooch after the piano was fixed.

I know where to look if Riley runs away from home.

IMG_6935

I was totally enthralled with this whole process. And I think Dan was pleased to have someone he could explain his work to and show the details that impressed him. The fact that this piano is over 100 years old and working so well kind of blew both of our minds. Apparently the old adage, “They don’t make ‘em like the used to,” is absolutely true.

In the end, other than a desperate need for a good tuning, fixing the player wasn’t all that difficult. He found a hose that had an old piece of dried up tape falling off of it, so we replaced that tape with good old black electrical tape. Hey, if someone else thought tape was a good idea, we were happy to go with it, too.

IMG_6932

Then Dan the Piano Man realized the bolts and screws [or whatever those things were] that held the roll of music in place had 100 years of gunk built up on them. So, he took them to the sink, washed them up with Dawn soap, and VOILA:

IMG_6941

The player piano started playing like a charm. Gives new meaning to the term elbow grease. And it’s proof that Dawn dish soap really does cut through the toughest grease… truth in advertising, people.

IMG_6937

Yep. I don’t think it’s the music Riley was adoring. Dan the Piano Man/Dog Whisperer can apparently fix pianos and tough dogs.

***** ***** *****

I loved reading about your friendships and the ways people have loved on you through the little details… there is no doubt that time, love and attention are the main gifts we all appreciate so much.

Now, for the winner of yesterday’s canvas:

Mandy: I LOOOOVE details!! I say "the love is in the details" all the time when I'm making something stupidly detailed for someone.
The first thing that came to mind for me was my bridal shower - my incredible neighbors put together a gorgeous bridal shower, and one of them made this crazy banner that said "Jack and Mandy" in script, another made a bustier cake, and another wrapped plastic-ware in napkins and tied ribbons around each one!! It totally made me feel loved.

Congratulations!!! Email me at gitzengirl@gmail.com with your mailing address and I’ll get it shipped out to you!

13 comments:

  1. where does this show up?

    Recent blog post: Blog Peep Questions: Round 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love piano music. So....question: how many rolls of music do you have and what type (genre)of music do you listen to the most? I enjoy Jim Brickman....I made CDs of his music and played it at our wedding and reception. Blessings, SusanD

    Recent blog post:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a pianola!! How cool. My granny had one and we used to play with it for hours

    Recent blog post: Stuff Christians (Don’t) Like

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come over and hear it!

    Recent blog post: Tadpoles and Budding Frogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your piano is fixed and that Riley has a new BFF. And Dan is a man. Riley's good taste is expanding. And that faith sharing group is an awesome bunch. Love the pictures and now if you can get Riley to learn to pedal. You can pretend the piano pedals are a treadmill for pups. Don't you love the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a gift! You have to do video now the next time Jonathon comes over to pump the pedals for you so we can hear it play again! What a treasure that is to have.

    Recent blog post: The fifty dollar lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok. How cute is Dan?! And wow... that piano looks fantastic. Can Riley please teach Mabel how to be civil to visitors. That would help me out a lot. :)

    Recent blog post: Ava & Charlie, Part 6 (to heck with the roman numerals)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know if I had found a Dan in Florida, my piano might still be here!!! So glad you got yours fixed!!!

    Recent blog post: Just a day in the life.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara ~ you crack me up! Hope you enjoy your new 'tunes'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin~All Things Heart and HomeJune 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM

    Your friends are awesome!
    Okay...do you think Dan could teach my little white dogs to stop screaming bloody murder when someone simply jogs by our house???And maybe convince The Boo there's no need to "mark" the kitchen chair leg??? If he can do that I'll send him a one way ticket to The ATL... :-P

    Recent blog post: A little Reba update and some advice please…

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad the piano is fixed and that Riley made a new friend! Did Dan really bring his wife back later? That is so funny!

    Recent blog post: Thankful Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dan the Piano Man must be one special guy. I always trust my dog's when it comes to judging people!

    Recent blog post: The DMV is DUMB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey girl, what a bummer! I hate you had to go through that! I love that you analyzed it and found something to take away. Way to go!!!
    -Sahsha's Mummy

    ReplyDelete