Thursday, June 12, 2008

NKOTB

Oh my goodness, people, I just had the funniest conversation I've had in a while. And it comes as no surprise that it involves my friend, Nicole.

We're having a normal phone conversation... talking about life, her gorgeous girls, what her plans are for the week. Then she makes an excited declaration, "Oh my gosh, GUESS, just GUESS what I am going to see in November."

Blank. No idea. She and her husband Josh went to the opening of Grease on Broadway last year so I wasn't sure I could think of anything to top it.

Then she starts to sing, "Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh..." To which I answer, "Hangin' tough."

Ok, I'm just going to stop right there for a second. It's a freaking miracle I knew how to finish that line. I had, of course, heard of New Kids on the Block (NKOTB) back when they were popular the first time around, but they were never a band I listened to or really cared too much about. Then I went to college and met Nicole. And she has no shame in admitting she was (and still is) a die-hard fan. We were hanging out in our friend Shaun's dorm room in Campbell Hall when she opened her closet door and had a NKOTB poster hanging up. I started to laugh a little because I thought it was kind of funny, but then Miss Nicole jumped up and started singing one of their songs. She and Shaun didn't just sing it, people. God help them, they knew the MOVES. Then I thought it was really funny. Thank God I met these people, though, because they didn't judge me at all for knowing all the moves to Grease Lightning...

So I'm not the least bit surprised that Nicole and her sister are going to the concert. I'm a little more surprised that they found a neighbor who is more excited than they are to go to the concert with them. And I'm dying laughing right now at the fact that Nicole has taught the NKOTB dance moves to her two little girls. They are either doomed or the luckiest little girls on the planet. Either way, they are learning some pretty serious dance skills...

This is Nicole, back in the 90's... she's not showing her moves,
but she sure seems to know the words...
 :)

3 comments:

  1. I saw your comment on audreycarololine's blog and wanted to say "hi". My name is Stephanie. My blog is www.livininaboysworld.blogspot.com
    (I have 3 boys). I got Lyme Disease 3 years ago and have dealt with chronic pain since. I am MUCH MUCH better thanks to an holistic guy in NY. I can tell you about him if you are interested.
    My email is tsblackiston@comcast.net.
    I am sorry you have a chronic illness. From the depths of my heart I am sorry you have to deal with chronic pain.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I don't know any of those moves (I'm not that obsessed), and I had to look up the lyric to the song. Also, NKOTB is a group, and my crush was a he. You might be on the right block, but it's not clear which kid we're talking about.

    I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA!

    So, from what I hear, I live in the area where Joey and the other guy grew up. Outside of Boston. Yeah. Your girl Nicole would know what I'm talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete