Monday, July 26, 2010

In the Pursuit of Normal

I remember after 9/11 happened and David Letterman first came back on the air, he said he wasn’t sure how to do something normal again. How to tell a joke when nothing in his life felt funny.

I feel a little bit like that. The day after Dad’s funeral I got up, looked at Alece and said, “What are we supposed to do now?” It felt like there should be more to do; I just had absolutely no idea what that was. So, I find myself trying to do normal things while feeling anything but normal. My sister Laura described it best when she said she feels like she’s walking through her day with a nagging homesick feeling in her stomach.

We’re all homesick for Dad.

But, we are all going to do the normal things despite feeling homesick. We’re going to tell jokes even if nothing in life feels funny. I’m going to get back to our normal blogging routine, even if in the course of it I talk about Dad and grief and all that comes with it.

Thanks in advance for bearing with me. :) The most normal thing I can do is share with you all whatever comes to mind... show you what real life is here... and throw in a lot of sarcasm for good measure. In other words, business as usual.

So, tomorrow begins our Tuesday Gitz Bits again. I’m going to go around and take some photos that will sum up some of the last few weeks, and then we’ll get back to a photo a day after that. I’m also going to start back with our YOU:create project this Thursday.

Ironically, Mom had taken photos of Dad doing a project that I told him I was going to put in a YOU:create post, so I’m going to go ahead and do that on Thursday. If any of you did projects the past few weeks even though I wasn’t posting, I’d love for you to link them up there so I can go around to your blogs and get caught up with you. Then, starting next week, I’ll be posting my own creative endeavors once again.

Now, who wants to help in my pursuit of normalcy?

[Don’t everyone raise their hands at once...] :)

I’m going to be bringing back Blog Peep Questions for awhile to help me get back in the swing of things. So here is your mission, should you choose to accept it:

blog peeps logo

Leave me a question in the comment section. It can be deep, shallow, personal, obscure, interesting, silly, insightful or random. I don’t care. You ask it, I’ll answer it... anything goes!

blog comments powered by Disqus