Monday, April 11, 2011

5 minutes: if you met me

Since I missed it on Friday, I thought today I'd give Lisa-Jo's 5 minute prompt a go today. 

To refresh your memory, she chooses a topic and writes for five minutes.

Only five minutes.

And the rule is that whatever she writes about in that five minutes is what she posts. No editing her thoughts.

Today, her topic choice is "If you met me…"

So I'm going to set the timer, write some thoughts, and then I'm going to stop.

Ready? Set. Go.

::

If you met me, I honestly don't know what you'd think. Mostly because I don't know what you'd expect.

Would you expect me to wax poetically about God and life? Or be sarcastic and funny? Would you expect me to be loud or quiet? Would you expect me to sound like I write?

Which makes me wonder if I *do* sound like I write. I think so, but I don't think I'm probably the best judge of that. I always said I should have Susie guest post on here and give you guys the chance to ask her questions about me, because she'd be able to tell you about me better than I can. :)

I think I'm not always the best judge because I still think I am who I used to be. And I'm not entirely. I still think of myself as the loud girl who livens up a party and is the first one on the dance floor.

And considering my breathing doesn't allow enough air for me to be loud and my body doesn't allow me enough movement to dance, neither of those is true.

But if you met me, I think the essence of that girl would still be there. I would still be thrilled to see you. I'd be thrilled to talk with you and find out what makes you happy and sad … what makes you tick. I wouldn't care what we talked about. You could brag about your kids or tell me about a show you just saw or tell me your deepest, darkest secret and I would be equally interested because it would be what you needed to talk about in that moment.

And that's what would matter to me.

Mostly, if you met me… if you came here to the condo I affectionately term "Gitzapalooza"… I would want to make sure you came feeling welcomed and loved. And that you left feeling more filled up than when you came.

How that happens doesn't matter so much to me. What we talk about or do to make that happen doesn't matter so much to me. It just matters that you're filled.

blog comments powered by Disqus