Monday, March 22, 2010

Brought to You by the Letter V

2660753618_9291e28c0f_b

Victory!!!

Ok, even I can’t believe I used this photo to represent the letter [V]. I hate mice with such a passion that it makes me squirm just seeing the trap. Growing up on a farm means I have more memories of these traps than I’d like to admit… but the photo seemed apropos because it not only has a “V” image, but it quite nearly spells my word for the day.

That’s right. We’re all about VICTORY around here right now. And if you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you have a very clear idea what I’m talking about.

Because I’ve been bragging. A lot.

Iowa has three state universities, University of Iowa, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa. That last one, UNI, is my alma mater. I still live in Cedar Falls, where it’s located, and where we all bleed purple and gold.

It’s also the forgotten university. Iowa and Iowa State get all the press. They are considered the in-state rivals. But now the world knows:

The UNI Panthers should not be underestimated.

Our men’s basketball team has played out of their minds this season. We won the Missouri Valley Conference, went on to beat UNLV in the first round of March Madness, and Saturday night we did what so many thought was unthinkable.

kansas

We beat the number one seed, Kansas, and are moving on to the Sweet Sixteen. Us. Little old UNI. The forgotten university. The fun part: knowing we won’t be forgotten again after destroying everyone’s brackets!

Ahhhh… it’s so fun to brag sometimes! I have to tell you, this has been so exciting not only for our town, but for all the alums. Everyone I talked to last night after the game said the same thing: “I can’t stop shaking!” Hours after the game was over and we should have been calmed down… someone would call and say, “We just beat Kansas!” and the giddy laughter would start all over again. We are enjoying this moment for all it’s worth.

My friend Candy, when trying to come down from the high of the win, said that she was trying to remember it was just a basketball game. But around here, I have to tell you, it feels like more than just basketball at the moment. It feels great to have a group of kids keeping things in perspective. Savoring their moment. Looking ahead to the next challenge and believing that anything is possible. Knowing that, as much as we have some stars, we’ve gotten this far because the team is bigger than any individual.

It’s always a good day to be a Panther. But this week, it’s been just a little more fun. :)

a to z

Don’t forget to leave me a suggestion for next Monday’s [W] topic. But if we beat Michigan State this coming Friday, I can’t guarantee I won’t go with WIN as the topic regardless of your suggestions. :)

blog comments powered by Disqus