Monday, June 21, 2010

Round About

You know how you hear those crazy stories about people who meet through the internet, and they say it feels like they’ve been neighbors for years?

Well, I met someone through the internet, and it turns out we HAVE been neighbors for years. She lives seven miles down the road.

I’m not kidding.

I’ve made quite a few friends through the blog who live in Nashville, and that has connected me to CrossPoint church, and Pastor Pete’s blog. Apparently he’s pretty popular to Iowans, because at one point last year I saw a commenter refer to herself as being from my hometown. Before I knew it, Candy and I had taken over his comment section and I knew exactly who she was.

She is the wife of our local newscaster, Ron. And he used to co-anchor the news with one of my close friends, Bobbi, when she lived in town. We have connections of people all around town who we both know, we just never met each other.

Until we met on a blog in Nashville.

Then we started following each other on Twitter and the rest is history. Suddenly I wasn’t so alone on nights when I was sitting in my condo watching Panther basketball, because Candy and I were tweeting back and forth as our team would always keep us guessing until the final seconds.

As it turns out, she’s a nurse and was an amazing source of help and guidance when I had to revamp my entire doctor situation this spring, and she is a constant link to the outside world as she tweets me photos of her walks on sunny days. We’ve had a lovely friendship.

But we still hadn’t actually met.

But then, a week ago last Friday, my doctor had come and declared me officially sick [oh, the blessing of a doctor that makes home visits] and prescribed meds... but it was too late to have them delivered. Candy didn’t know about my pharmacy troubles when she tweeted, knowing I was sick, and asked if she could run and get me anything.

Yep, I totally made her do me a favor the first time we were meeting in person. Yep, that really drove me nuts. I kind of thought I’d have her over for dinner or something before I started bossing her around, but I guess she’s initiated now. :)

IMG_0134

I’ll give you one guess as to whether or not she and Riley got along. :) People, that dog performed for her. He posed, he flirted, he pulled out all the big guns. I told her that I don’t exaggerate his crazy personality on the blog, and she corrected me, saying I don’t talk him up enough.

I’ll work on that.

In the meantime, I did look and find an old video that I took back when I had my old camera. This is probably about three years old, and I hesitate to put it up only because I am using the most obnoxious voice known to man with him.

But you need to see that I am not exaggerating when I tell you he does sign language for the word “please.” And if you don’t believe me, just ask Candy. He used his please sign on her, right before he moved her hand with his paw to scratch his chest in a more desirable location.

Poor woman has no idea what she’s in for.

Riley Please from gitzengirl on Vimeo.

blog comments powered by Disqus