Monday, July 7, 2008

Come Bearing Gifts

So, people... how was your holiday weekend?

In the midst of my stewing about remaining stuck indoors and missing all of the 4th of July fireworks, food and festivities, I got company! Mom and Dad were heading to my sister's house for the holiday weekend, and due to her working a half day on Friday (I love it when I benefit from other people's dedication) they came to see me at the start of their journey. Considering my sister's house is North of them and I am well South of their home, they definitely took the scenic route to visit their single daughters.

Regretfully, I wasn't feeling exactly up to par last week as I was weaning myself off my short run of steroids, which for me seems to produce a dizzy, nauseous blend of fun along with some increase in pain. My rheumatologist calls it a rebound effect... I call it annoying.

But I digress.

In my favor is the fact that my parents enjoy ordering in food and watching movies as much as I do so we tend to get along fine in the entertainment area. But the real fun came when they brought me a hand-me-down... my three favorite hyphenated words.

So I inherited this lovely window covering:

Score one for me :)

Mom recently moved her store location (she has a store called Interior Designs) and could no longer use this lovely bamboo shade on her new storefront window. So sad for her, so happy for me. It's ideal because while people can't see in, I'm still able to see out... and so far Riley has been less prone to barking at every stray leaf that accidentally blows by. I have a feeling the people in the building are all going to write thank you notes to my mother soon.

The only problem is that mom's windows weren't as tall as mine, so the shade is a bit short... and my window looks like those people who wear floods because they think pant legs shouldn't touch the top of their shoes:

I love the shade so much I don't really care, and Riley seems to enjoy laying in the bit of sunshine at the bottom. Susie and I might try to put a strip of dark brown fabric across the bottom to lengthen it (she is required as I have no sewing skills), but I can't decide. I think the addition could look very classy... and it might be an idea for all of you out there who, after reading this post, have come to terms with the fact that your pant legs might be on the short side. Fabric on the bottom could just be your new fashion statement.

And because Riley saw the camera, he felt a need to be a part of the action (he does that a lot). Brace yourselves, people, for a return of the tongue: 

"I smell barbeque..."

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I didn't realize that it was short until you mentioned it. What a pose by Riley!! He's so funny.

    I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling icky as of late. I hope it passes soon.

    Love ya,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am visiting from PW blog. I love your little Riley. I am sure he keeps you on your toes. Think the idea of an added strip of fabric to the bottom of your Shade would be very classy and an unexpected designer touch!
    Your blog from 7/14/8 about your friend moved me to tears. Don't think for a moment that she doesn't know you care...and that she can't feel your virtual hug! Luv, MoMo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya

    I too, am a visitor from PW's blog.
    I think your pup is simply adorable. Will continue to visit your blog and send you good wishes.

    P.S I think material on the blinds, would work well. Yake a photo if it works.

    Carol :)

    ReplyDelete