Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rest Quietly

I haven't been feeling well lately.

I know that sounds ridiculous - I never really feel well... but it's been more than my usual. I've been feeling weak and dizzy and nauseous more often than not. And last night as I woke periodically I was frustrated by the fact that in my dreams I felt unsteady and nauseous. I was searching constantly for the culprit and I would wake feeling as though I was falling. I just can't seem to escape it.

Just like in my dreams, in my waking moments I find myself constantly trying to seek out a reason: Is the pain causing it? Has my body just had enough of the pain and needs a break? I don't think so. I don't think it's any more intolerable than usual. Is it the weather? It must be the weather. It seems I am feeling bad right before a storm begins to approach. But I was at my worst when it almost missed us, passing by sheepishly and only offering a sprinkling of rain. But it definitely got better after the rain had passed.

Is it this unseen culprit in the air that has been torturing my lungs? This invisible antagonist that only seems to be pestering me? As I woke in the morning and nothing I did settled me I finally tried a Benadryl and it seemed to be a little better. Is all of this weakness and nausea due to that tainted air that got in my lungs and through my system?

It's maddening trying to figure it all out sometimes. There are too many factors... too many variables. The truth of the matter is that it's probably all of them creating a perfect storm on any given day. My immune system is weakened; my body is susceptible to the changing pressure in the atmosphere; it's sensitive to the unknown in the air these floods have probably left behind. And every fiber of my being wants to fight it off... figure out the culprit... find the solution... take the medicine. Energy wasted.

I glanced at my wall and saw this:

"It is such a folly to pass one's time fretting, instead of resting quietly on the heart of Jesus."

So I'm taking my own advice today. I'm going to stop searching and wondering and figuring it out. I do that enough in my sleep. Today I'm going to stop passing my time fretting. I'm going to lay down with my pup, watch a movie and rest quietly on the heart of Jesus.

Take a deep breath for a moment to do the same yourself...

It's a relief, isn't it? Maybe tomorrow my perfect storm will turn into a perfect rainbow. For today, I'm resting quietly.

6 comments:

  1. This is a really good post. I'm glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara~my soul mate. As our friend would always say "Keep your chin to the wind."

    Thanks for sharing your days with us.
    Blessings to you,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your posts very inspiring. You are such a strong person, and I have found solace here. You see, I suffer from chronic myofacial pain in the entire upper half of my body and its slowly spreading down to my legs. I am getting tested for Fibromyalgia next week actually. Some days are so bad I cant get out of bed and I just want to give up. I cant even imagine the pain and suffering you go through every day, what am I complaining about? Thank you for being so candid and giving hope. I am glad I stumbled upon your blog.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I was there to rest quietly with you...my sis...my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could bring you movies and Lost episodes! I hope this current bought passes soon. You are loved, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant bout! Ever since I studied Spanish, I can't spell my English anymore. Not a good thing for a writer!! Keep writing, Sara, and give the puppy a cherio for me.

    ReplyDelete