Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dogs vs. Kids

I had a bit of a long day at the doctor's and my body is certainly feeling it, so I'm just going to leave you with a short story for today. (The appointment went fine... nothing major to report; I'll tell you all about it tomorrow when I've gotten a little energy back.)

Mom came to town to go with me, and when she brought me back here to the house, Riley was... ecstatic. Lots of energy and barking and freaking out to let us know how much we were missed. Right away he jumped up into the chair by where mom was standing so he was at her hand-height and started his begging routine. I explained to her that when he gets on a chair next to you it's so you'll pet him - I don't bend over well so if he wants me to pet him he's learned to come up to my height. Not being able to realize the difference in people, he assumes everyone has that same affliction.

When I was in college, my friend Susie had come home with me for the weekend and my nephew Alex was home as well. He was about four at the time, but totally got the concept that Aunt Sara had a sore back and he needed to be careful.

I was sitting on the floor throwing him a Nerf football, which he would catch and then come barrelling at me... but he always stopped just short of me and would give me a hug while yelling, "Touchdown!"

Susie thought this was so sweet and wanted a turn as well... so she sat where I was on the floor, threw the football and Alex came barrelling at her. And knocked her flat on her back.

He obviously wasn't confused about us having the same affliction. 

And that, my friends, is today's lesson about the difference between a dog and a kid.

3 comments: