Friday, January 22, 2010

Flashback Friday: Pictures of Uganda

Today, I’m flashing all the way back to last week.

Remember back that far? When I told you about my friend Matthew’s mission trip to Uganda for World Vision?

He’s been there all this week and his stories have been amazing. And I realized that within the past week, many would have forgotten about that post where we talked about being needy. It’s easy to forget, because we’re safe and fed. After seeing Matthew’s trip unfold this week, and after hearing so much about what’s happening in Haiti… my heart’s desire is to not forget. To not let the simplicity of my life stop me from pointing to others.

“Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.” 
                                                               (Matthew 25:40)

This is one of Matthew’s recent posts that explains so well what World Vision does, not only for these kids, but for their whole families. Do me a favor and take a minute to see Uganda through his eyes:

Though I've spent my fair share of time this week soul-searching and emotionally lamenting all of the circumstances and experiences I've encountered in Uganda, ultimately, this isn't about me or my emotions. As a writer and a person of faith, it's easy for me to get caught up in "me." Of course, more than you will ever know, my experiences during the last eight days has made me want to change, and hopefully the changes I make in my own life will be good and helpful to some degree. But let's be honest: If this trip was only about "my change," I should stop writing and you should stop reading...

But it's not about me and my personal change.

Today I saw real change, change that started with something that World Vision was doing for people. Today, I met people who once had to walk a day's journey to get clean water in their own community. I witnessed people pursuing healthier lives. I watched as forty or so children learned the truth about HIV-AIDS. I hugged people who were cheering because a health center that World Vision erected allowed them the benefit of receiving their vaccinations without having to walk miles and miles to do so. I met people who were learning how to grow crops in their own backyard.

As some of you know, I've been working with World Vision in some capacity for four years. Since the beginning I've believed in their work to help suffering children and families all over the world. But this week I witnessed World Vision working. The gatherings of people I met weren't about me getting to meet poor people – any ministry or non-profit can introduce me or anybody else to poverty. But sadly, not nearly as many can show somebody poverty and then tell them how they are planning to change that poverty into sustainable living. During my time as an author and speaker, I've worked alongside many non-profit organizations/ministries, and most of them have good intentions and are helpful to a certain degree. But when you're entrusting a certain amount of money to a ministry or non-profit on behalf of a child, good intentions don't often lead to sustainability.

So I thought I'd give you my personal reasons as to why I love and believe in World Vision... and why I trust them to do their best to not simply save people's lives... but to help them live better lives...

I believe in World Vision...

... because its goal is never to enable... it desires to empower...

...because every World Vision worker believes in the words on this sign…

...because they aren't afraid of being controversial when it helps people remain healthy…

...because this HIV-positive woman is receiving medication because of World Vision, and now volunteers to care for others with HIV-AIDS…

...because these kids, as well as their families, have a health care facility that helps heal them when they’re sick and educates them to live healthier so they don't become sick again...

...because this orphan now has a home with more than twenty women on a farm with chickens, pigs, cows, and crops... and has future...

...because this baby's mother is receiving HIV medication, and now has a much better chance of seeing her daughter grow up and not make the same mistakes as she did...

...because this woman has a deep well within walking distance where she can now get clean water for her two children...

...because the man who gave my friend this avocado learned how to grow his own avocados...

...because this 19-year-old is a World Vision sponsored child who is now studying to become a teacher and volunteers his time caring for orphans and widows who have been affected by HIV-AIDS...

...because World Vision works with a multitude of local churches (at least, in Uganda) and never turns a child away because he/she is Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or from any other religious or non-religious background...

...because World Vision is not simply about saving a "child," World Vision is about helping to sustain communities...

And ultimately, it's World Vision's hope that one day that community can live healthily without them...

That's just a few of the many reasons why I love and believe in World Vision... more to come...

To sponsor a child from Uganda, click here...

blog comments powered by Disqus