Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I Am Distressed About the Dalai Lama

Yeah, I’m guessing you might need some explanation about that title.

Here’s the thing. I think I’ve been pretty darn good about this whole I’m-never-leaving-the-house-again-for-the-rest-of-my-life situation. Stuff comes up all the time that I’d like to be at, and I’ve already imagined future events that are going to be brutal to have to miss. Regardless, though, I’m totally dealing with it.

But what we have to remember is that the universe likes to test me.

Tell me something: What are the odds that the Dalai Lama would come to my town and give a talk, mere miles from my house?

Let me answer that for you: The odds are really freaking good.

Tickets to see the Dalai Lama at my alma mater, the University of Northern Iowa, go on sale Friday. Because he’s going to be here on May 18th. Just five days after my birthday. Here. In Iowa. Just down the road.

Guess who won’t be seeing him?

1.5.10

The woman who has this book on her side table, that’s who.

Doesn’t his smile just exude the happiness he possesses?

Anyway, in my most subtle way, I’m posting this for everyone in my town who reads this blog: PLEASE DON’T MISS SEEING THIS MAN SPEAK! And then please tell me all about it. In detail. Like, take copious notes and then recite his speech to me word-for-word.

See how gracious I’m being about the fact that he will be here and I won’t see him? I knew choosing that as my word for the year would trip me up somehow. :)

The Dalai-freaking-Lama. In my town.

What are the odds?!?

[Yes, I realize referring to him as the Dalai-freaking-Lama pretty much means I don’t deserve to see him… but SERIOUSLY.]

blog comments powered by Disqus