Monday, June 27, 2011

5 minutes: wonder

Today I'm linking up to Lisa-Jo aka gypsy mama, who chooses a topic every Friday {only I'm writing it on a Monday :)} and writes for five minutes.

Only five minutes.

And the rule is that whatever she writes about in that five minutes is what she posts. No editing her thoughts.

Today, her topic choice is "Wonder…"

So I'm going to set the timer, write some thoughts, and then I'm going to stop.

Ready? Set. Go.

::

Every time I see the word "wonder" a song starts wafting through my head…

{I wonder as I wander out under the sky
how Jesus, the Savior, did come for to die
for poor ornery people like you and like I.
I wonder as I wander
out under the sky.}

I think I love it so much because the words match the feeling of the tune so perfectly. The haunting soulfulness. The wanting. The wondering. They mystery of it all.

Wondering why in the world He came for us. Wondering how He could love us that much. Wondering why we are so worth it. Wondering what I am supposed to do for Him here on this earth to make His sacrifice mean something to someone else.

But I know we are supposed to wonder. Because while it all is a mystery – all of it seems to make no sense until the day we are with Him in heaven – we can't begin to do what He needs from us here until we open ourselves up to imagine it.

To wonder about it.

Because He sneaks our purpose into us in whispers. In the thoughts we have. In the longing in our souls. In those moments when we say,

"I wonder if I can…"

"I wonder if I should…"

"I wonder if it's possible…"

We have to pay attention to the moments of wonder so we don't miss the instruction to act.

Sometimes I wonder how I'm supposed to do any of that here, sick, in bed. What He has need of me to do. But I will keep coming here and we'll wonder about our lives in the hope that we're fulfilling the mystery a little bit each day.

Together.

blog comments powered by Disqus